Friday 17 May 2013

Wild Garlic and Good King Henry

I wrote yesterday about herbs. Today I would like to showcase a couple of plants that are also herbs, but possibly not as well known as the traditional Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme... (Cue: sounds of "Scarborough Fair" heard in the background).

The first one is Wild Garlic. I'm trying to establish a patch of it that is big enough to allow me to use it for culinary purposes. Right now I have only this tiny clump, brought back from my Mother-in-law's house last year, but I understand that it spreads quite rapidly so hopefully I won't have too long to wait:


The little white flowers look very delicate - but I bet they would be nice as a salad ingredient, alongside some Chive flowers!


There are several buds in the clump, so maybe I could already pinch one or two...?


One dish I am really looking forward to being able to make with this is Wild Garlic pesto. It should be pretty powerful.

The other herb I want to show you today is Good King Henry.


Although I have in the past used it once or twice as a Spinach substitute I have never been very impressed with its culinary qualities. On the other hand it does look very attractive...


...especially when flowering.


Those flowers produce hundreds of seeds, which ALL seem to germinate. Look how many tiny GKH seedlings there are in this nearby patch of Marjoram! (They are the ones with the pointed seed-leaves.)

13 comments:

  1. I wonder whether you will rue the day if both spread and spread. See what I did there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good King Henry used to be popular in Poland maybe a hundred years ago or longer, but it's forgotten now. My husband told me about an old lady who liked to eat scrambled eggs with GKH and because of that she was considered a freak :(
    I wanted to find out this plant on meadows and taste it, but I wasn't able to distinguish it from alike plants.

    Just today, I've eaten a few sandwiches with butter and wild garlic flowers, it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a fab recipe for wild garlic pesto. It is that which made me want to grow my own wild garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does Good King Henry taste of? The leaves look a bit like sorrel to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it has a taste like mild spinach - very unremarkable, really!

      Delete
  5. The woods where I walk Archie are covered with wild garlic, but I've never used it in cooking. I would imagine that it will soon spread in your garden as there's always masses of it wherever I see it growing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I brought some wild garlic from my mother-in-law's last year and stuck it in the ground. I had two little plants and thought it had died, then in the spring clean of the garden this year, found four beautiful plants! I was so excited! It's grown beautifully and we make wild garlic pesto regularly. It's really good stuff. I shared the recipe on my blog this morning, if you want a tried and tested one! (keeperofthekitchen dotcom)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe sounds like just what I need! Next year, when I have more Wild Garlic, I'll try making it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New to your blog, Mark. Found it when trawling for bits on Cavolo Nero. Really enjoying reading your words and the comments of other readers. The pics are great, too. That group of the Cavolo Nero pasta has me doing a Pavlov's dogs as I write! We're in Oz, so are just at the end of Autumn and starting to move gently into Winter - still getting beautiful balmy days but the mornings and evenings are crispy. The garden is definitely in transition, and we have been planting out our Winter vegie seedlings for the past 3 weeks or so. Haven't been able to find Cavolo Nero, so it looks like we'll be waiting for next Winter to try that pasta recipe! We will start sowing CN seeds this Spring (Sept), and as we can grow brassicas just about all year here, we are hoping to have the beautiful CN with us for much of the year. We are keen to add it to salads and use it for coleslaw instead of, or with, Savoy cabbage. There goes the Pavlov's dog response again! Good cheer to you and your disciples from this gardener Down Under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret; I always enjoy it when a new reader takes the time to introduce themself, so Thank You! It sounds as if we have a strong shared interest: I really love being able to eat what I grow, having nurtured it all the way from seed to plate. Sounds as if you are a Foodie too, so hopefully I will be able to come up with a few dishes/ recipes you will enjoy. I hope you will return to my blog!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. Brussels Sprouts are the exception to my comment about growing brassicas just about all year round. They are for the Winter garden only but we no longer bother with them. What the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos don't get, the aphids do and the sprouts never get past the pea size stage. V frustrating and disappointing - they are a real favourite of ours. My Dad grows beauties, though, so at least we don't have to buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where I gather wild garlic it seems to favor low moist spots, perhaps to keep in mind for water requirements. I do hope it multiplies for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.