Sunday 1 March 2015

Game casserole with Yorkshire puddings

On Friday I felt an urge to cook Yorkshire puddings. Not with the traditional roast beef, but with mixed game casserole. My idea was to serve the game casserole inside the Yorkshire puddings. It was partially successful...

I made a game casserole in my usual way, but this time I added some button mushrooms and some chestnuts (foraged last Autumn and kept in the freezer). The meat was a mixture of Venison, Partridge and Pheasant.


I also cooked some buttered new-season carrots with Parsley:


And some home-grown Purple Sprouting Broccoli:


The final element of the meal was some baby new potatoes. (No photo. You know what baby new potatoes look like!)

The Yorkshire Puddings didn't turn out exactly as I had envisaged them:


They didn't rise very much and went very brown at the edges (Jane tells me that I probably had the oven too hot), but My Goodness they were nice! Although "Well Done" they were crisp, not hard, and probably the tastiest Yorkies I have ever had. (I ate 3 of them. No let's be honest, 4. I had another one later, before going to bed.)

Since they didn't rise as much as anticipated, I served the Game Casserole alongside them, rather than inside:


One of the reasons why the Yorkshire Puddings didn't rise so well was perhaps that the batter mix was not exactly right: I followed Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe but it makes a lot of batter so I halved it. However, I decided that it was impractical to precisely halve "two whole eggs and one egg-yolk" so I used two whole ones. This may have affected the balance - but it evidently enhanced the flavour, so it was a "happy" mistake.


10 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. Your dinners always look like they belong together. Mine tend to be piles of different things without cohesion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the very brown Yorkshire Puddings the food on your plate looks very tempting! And I love the freshest vegetables that you usually have. I would love to have food like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Being Yorkshire folk, we have Yorkshire Puddings with most things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good use of the chestnuts...I usually wait till Thanksgiving and put them in the dressing. Everything looks SO good; I think it's time to go eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They probably didn't rise as they weren't cooked in good old Yorkshire air, :) Can't remember when we last made any - shame on us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure perfection. My Yorkies are hit and miss and I always use the same recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...that does look amazing. Haven't made Yorkshire puddings in a long time...in fact, I don't think my kids have ever tasted one! I think I'll add them to the menu this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and the puddings seem near perfect to me, but then I have never made them....on my must do list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious, just the meal I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a hearty looking plate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.