Monday 9 March 2015

Harvest Monday 09 March 2015

Not much has come out of my garden this past week. I have been doing seed-sowing and soil-preparation, rather than harvesting. Other than a few herbs, all I have harvested is another batch of Purple Sprouting Broccoli:


These photos are all of the same batch - six decent spears, enough for the two of us when served alongside other veg.


Cutting this batch means that the first of my six plants is now to all intents and purposes finished. We have had three 2-person servings from it. However I still have five more plants!


Evidence of having harvested Parsley is here:


That is one of Jane's photos, illustrating a dish made with Dakos (olive-flavoured crispbreads). You can read about the dish on her blog Onions and Paper.

That's it for this week, but please drop by Daphne's Dandelions and see what everyone else has put forward for Harvest Monday.

9 comments:

  1. Your harvest is still bigger than mine. Jane's dish looks delicious, I'm partial to anything with feta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't harvested anything other than parsley this week - still using last weeks harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty broccoli. I think this is the hardest time for me with my stores running out and no fresh garden veggies in sight. I keep thinking I need to grow something indoors to at least give me something. But I'm so bad at indoor growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the first PSB plant has finished sprouting you could crop the remaining leaves, stripped of the large mid-ribs, they make good greens for cooking. Prior to such radical measures, I would be tempted to give the plant a good feed (tomato food would do) and hope for a touch of warmer weather to stimulate regrowth of shoots. They won't be as good as those first photogenic batches, but still edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have done that before, but I'm usually in too much of a hurry to get on and grow a new crop (especially since the PSB has been in the ground for nearly a year!). I plan to put Runner Beans in, so that bed has to be clear by late April - I also want to make it into one of my new-style extra-deep beds.

      Delete
  5. Oh is that, ALL? I would be over the moon if I had that basket sitting on my back deck right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, made me chuckle Margaret. My PSB is not showing any signs of flower heads yet, it must've been a late variety.

      Delete
  6. Liking the presentation! And the Jane's salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "all I have harvested is another batch of Purple Sprouting Broccoli" ...... and they look great.

    I also like the look of Jane's dish - it looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.