Wednesday 19 October 2016

Late salads

Summer is over now, and Autumn is here, but there are still some occasions on which salad seems like the most appropriate food. On Monday, for instance, we ate a Butternut Squash risotto, for which salad was the perfect accompaniment. Fortunately, I was able to muster some - home-grown lettuce and tomatoes.

Monday's lettuce.


That lettuce was sown so long ago I've forgotten what variety it was! Maybe it was a "Webb's Wonderful"?

I have about a dozen more lettuces on the go, although they are still fairly small and I'm not sure they will come to much.


It won't be long before we can eat the first Endives - probably my favourite salad ingredient - I just need the frost to stay away a bit longer.


On Monday I dug out my bell cloches, which have been submerged under piles of other stuff in the garage since the Spring, because I think it won't be long before they are needed. Most varieties of Endive will survive a little frost, but not much.

Radicchio is hardier. I have about two dozen plants in various places around the garden, many of them getting big and looking strong now.


As the weather gets cooler, the Radicchio will change colour from green to red, and the plants will form dense hearts.


Even if I didn't want to eat the Radicchio, I would probably want to grow it just for its ornamental value, since it's very picturesque.


The recent advent of my new cold-frame will add another (vertical) dimension to my Winter salad opportunities.


It may be too late for this year, given other commitments, but I reckon this piece of kit will be ideal for growing some trays of Baby Leaf Salad.

4 comments:

  1. You've done a good job getting a fall lineup of salad greens going. I'm afraid I didn't get much done in that regard having spent an inordinate amount of time battling critters. I wish I'd gotten some radicchio going, I'll be envious of your harvests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you not grow winter lettuce Mark? I am trying some 'winter density' and wondered whether I'm being too optimistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter lettuce and oriental leaves could well survive in your new resource. Or, pot some of your plants and put them in there for cut and come again. I bet you could have salad all year round. Come on, Mark, get on with it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Lettuce! I'm a lettuce nut. I love the colors and textures. It the crop I most enjoy picking. Tonight's supper was grilled rosemary chicken on salad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.