Wednesday 25 October 2017

A blog holiday

I have decided to give blogging a rest for a while. I am at a point where I feel that I have very little new to say.

I have also recently become very absorbed with studying and photographing fungi, which has led me to take a bit less interest in my veg-garden. However, there is news on the veg-garden front too...

I am going to be doing some gardening on behalf of an elderly couple (neighbours of a friend) who have a big garden but can no longer manage to look after it. Rather than let it "revert to nature" they have offered it to me to use, either in its entirety or in part. Luckily, the property is only about half a mile from our house, so within easy walking distance. The veg-garden is weedy, but not what I'd call overgrown, so it should be relatively easy to knock it back into shape again. Furthermore, the present incumbents have been cultivating it since the 1960s, so the soil should be pretty good. This sounds like a much better arrangement for me than taking on an allotment!

Despite putting my blog into suspension for a while, I still intend to be active on the Social Media, so if you are interested you can follow me on Twitter ( @Marksvegplot ) and/or on Facebook (where I use my real name).

With a bit of luck, my enthusiasm for blogging will return before too long, and I'll be able to write about how I get on with this new plot, but for the time being, "Au Revoir", and thanks for following!

15 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed following your blog and reading about your gardening exploits. But sometimes blog breaks can be necessary. It's great that you found another garden to tend, that'll give you lots of space for experimentation. Just the idea of having more space makes me giddy, what I wouldn't do for a permanent space for strawberries, blueberries, and fruit trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need a break once in a while - in my case it's usually more a time issue than anything else. It should be a pleasant challenge to start a new garden (almost) from scratch and I have a feeling it won't be long before you are itching to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds ideal for you Mark, will watch for the photos on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so enjoyed your blog Mark it's helped me and inspired me, so I hope the urge to write about your new space does strike you!! Thanks for your help, kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed your blog and found it really useful. Will keep looking out for you on Twitter. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you have found so much in your retirement to keep you busy. Using some of our neighbours garden sounds a good idea and benefits everyone. I'm sure I will catch up with you sometime if you return to blogging. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been such a consistent, daily blogger that I always wondered how you did it! Thanks for the many, great posts. Always enjoy hearing the stories of gardeners in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark I have always loved your blog, it's honest and about growing your own and lots of lovely meal ideas. Enjoy the new garden and maybe we will be talking plants on twitter x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a mini break but circumstantial rather than intentional. You probably make it harder for yourself by posting so many posts each week. I decided to cut back on posts other when I had lots to share. I look forward to reading about the new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the new garden, Mark. I'm not surprised that you're in need of a break from blogging; it's very time consuming and I frequently resent the time to write when I could be outdoors. Hopefully we'll be seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww going to miss you. Have just started veg gardening and was looking forward to following you this year as a guide to what to plant and when. Wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mark, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your blog here, but as a long-time reader and beginner veg gardener, you have inspired me to have a try at writing my own blog. I'd love your opinion!
    https://thesmallestveggarden.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have been able to provide some inspiration for you. It will be interesting to see how you get on. My advice is to photograph EVERYTHING - then you'll have something to illustrate any blogpost you want to write!

      Delete
  13. I'm sad to hear that you won't be blogging for a while, but I wish you all the luck and success on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am folloign you on twitter so do see your tweets about fungi.

    Wishing you a Happy New Year Mark. I understand about the blog break.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.