Friday 5 October 2012

Parsnips and Beetroot

I'm  putting these two together in a blogpost simply because they are bed-fellows - growing side-by-side in one of my raised beds. It's actually quite difficult for me to get a photograph of one without the other...

In the photo below you can see my double row of Parsnips in a raised bed next to the Beetroot (and some pots of chillis at the left of the photo). The foliage looks nice and luxuriant, doesn't it? Be careful though, because its sap can have a very irritant effect on human skin.

Parsnips at Right; Beetroot at Left

I haven't pulled any parsnips yet because I'm saving them for later, when all the Summer veg has gone, but I did scrape away the soil from one promising specimen just to check progress.


It looks OK, but not yet very big - perhaps 2 inches at the crown. Probably very nice to eat at this size, but pulling them now would be a bit of a waste of potential since they will probably get much bigger if I leave them a bit longer.

While the Parsnips are just about to start their productive period, the Beetroot are at the end of theirs.

Looking a bit scruffy by now...

This year has been a strange year in many ways, and one thing I have noticed is that the Beetroot have grown a lot slower than normal. Mine have been in the ground since March and yet amazingly none of them are huge and woody. Lots of them are still at the perfect size:


Beetroots are a good crop to grow if you are short of space. I usually devote only half of one of my raised beds (which are 1m x 2.4m) to this veg, and that amount keeps us supplied for about 4 or 5 months. This year in particular they have matured successively - that's to say a few at a time, rather than all at once - which suits us well as we never want a lot of Beetroot at any given moment.

At the rate we are going I may have to lift the remainder mine and cook them before frosty weather arrives. Do they freeze successfully? I've never thought about that before, because the issue has never previously arisen. I've already pickled some in vinegar. Actually it was only a dozen - one large jar's worth - just to see if we like them done this way.


Maybe I'll also make some more of that lovely Beetroot Tabbouleh. Or maybe I'll roast them with chicken and apples, like Dom Franks at Belleau Kitchen suggested the other day...


***********************************************************************************
P.S. Are there any garlic fanatics out there? UK readers may be interested to hear about a competition called "The Great British Garlic Challenge", being run by the well-known Garlic Farm, based on the Isle of Wight. Details can be found on their website, a link to which is HERE.




15 comments:

  1. I've never considered freezing beetroot either - usually ours are OK in the soil unless it gets particularly cold.

    We haven't peeked at our parsnips yet so will just have to hope the roots are as good as the tops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely hate beets. However I do grow them in the garden for friends. I love how they look and I love how they turn dishes with them such a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, you are so altruistic! Your town-house mates must love you a lot.

      Delete
  3. have you ever grown golden beetroot, it's lovely and looks so pretty... just made a pumpkin and parsnip soup too!... thanks for the mention x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom; Yes, I grew some golden beetroot last year, but I wasn't very impressed. The flavour was rather insipid - and I just LIKE the deep red colour of the "traditional" ones.

      Delete
  4. Never tried freezing beetroot either - maybe try just blanching a couple and then freezing them to see if it works out OK? I have used beetroot for dying wool though - you get a wonderful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After numerous attempts at getting my parsnip seed to germinate, I've managed only three. I really hope that they amount to some wonderous specimens after the care and attention I've lavished up on them. As for beetroot, I haven't managed one this year. I like shop bought pickled beetroot, so I should imagine yours will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beets should stay fine in your British weather right in the ground through to next spring...or when ever you want to pull them. Cold makes the sugars in beets rise. The plus is, if you let them go through to spring, you will have fresh beet greens/reds to add to spring salads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea. Phil can't stand beets. My mother used to pickle them and I like them that way or just sliced and boiled with butter on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer beet leaves over beets themselves although I did have a delicious heirloom baby beet salad last night. Can't get parsnips to last beyond tiny seedling stage ... no idea why and I've tried lots of seed varieties. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried sowing parsnips at different times of the year? That might work. Also, you could perhaps try raising them in modules such as small peat pots, and keeping them in "intensive care" until they are a sensible size to fend for themselves.

      Delete
  9. The last time I grew parsnips in my plot I left a tiny one in the ground as the flowers were meant to be ideal for wildlife. Goodness me it frew about 8ft tall. Beetroot is lovely roasted round a joint of beef.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm too impatient for parsnips - they just take too long. Yours are looking lovely. I've made really nice beetroot chutney's with my excess crop in the past, otherwise I pickle it as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Parsnips ( see your heading Parnips) are one veg that I never have any trouble with - they always germinate and produce a great crop. I have saved seed from last years crop it will be interesting to see how they perform (I will sow some bought seed as well to be on the safe side). I made beetroot chutney as well as pickling them this year - but I also like them roasted - a great crop for so little work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm canning almost 14lbs of beets I pulled today. The parsnips look lovely! How big will they get? a carrot with a 2" crown would be qute stout!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.