Monday 27 October 2014

Harvest Monday - 27th October 2014

My Harvest Monday posts will be dwindling rapidly from here on in...

I have picked the very last of my Beetroot, so there won't be any more of those until next Summer.


There were a few more ripe chillis. Here are 3 "Jalapenos" and one "Ohnivec".


I moved some of my chilli plants indoors last weekend, and this prompted many of their fruits to ripen much more rapidly than they would have done if they had remained outdoors.


We have plenty of chillis in both the fridge and the freezer, so these ones have now joined the basketful of similar ones "taking a sauna" [i.e. drying in the airing-cupboard.]


There are still plenty of salad items available. I picked these on Sunday:


The big one looks like an Endive, but it isn't. It's a "Cancan" Lettuce.

I'm currently on the lookout for a lettuce that is genuinely Winter-hardy and will withstand some frost. Does anyone know of any suitable ones?

That's it from me for this week, but why not drop by Daphne's Dandelions to see what other contributions there are this week for Harvest Monday...

7 comments:

  1. Your beetroot has done well for you this year, it's something I must do better with next year, I've missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lettuce is already pretty frost tolerant if you provide a little protection. There was a BBC article on it and besides the CanCan you are already growing, they suggest Arctic King and Valdor, plus the usual endive and mache/corn salad/lamb's lettuce. Trick is you have to have grown, established plants going into winter because growth will be very slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cancan lettuce looks picture perfect with not a nibble to be seen. I'm not sure about truly hardy lettuce. David's comment looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with David - my understanding is that most lettuce can tolerate a bit of frost even without protection. A couple of years ago I harvested lettuce until mid-November using a double Agribon cover (fleece). The temperature went down to -2° or -3°C a few times and the lettuce did just fine - and they were just "regular" varieties like Ruby Red & Simpson Elite. A variety like Arctic King may do well even with lower temps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your jalapeƱos have stretch marks, that's good! I would be tempted to smoke them and turn them into chipotle peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's certainly slowing down. Soon be carrots, parsnips and leeks dominating

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting fewer and fewer harvests too. I've now picked all of my cabbages and am on bok choy which seems to be hardier here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.