Wednesday 18 March 2015

Planting First Early potatoes

At the weekend I planted my first potatoes of the year. They were four tubers each of "Winston" and "Annabelle", both First Early types, in other words ones that will mature in about 3 months.


"Annabelle" is an oval shaped yellow-skinned potato with a waxy yellow flesh, allegedly ideal as a salad potato. I have not grown it before but it sounds good. "Winston" is a rather controversial variety. Everyone agrees that it is a good-looking one - definitely the one to choose if you are growing for exhibition - but opinions about its culinary value vary widely. One source says "The creamy, moist flesh of this first early variety has an excellent flavour and does not discolour on cooking", whereas another says "Flavour is lacking and the flesh has a watery consistency when cooked". It's hard to know who to believe. However, I note that this variety has earned an RHS Award of Garden Merit, so it can't be all that bad! There's only one way to find out for sure - try it myself.

My method of planting them is this: put a six-inch layer of composted stable manure in the bottom of the container; add a handful of pelleted chicken manure and a smaller handful of general-purpose fertiliser (I use "Growmore"); add a layer of general-purpose compost and place the potato tuber firmly in it, with the rose end (hopefully with chits!) uppermost. Cover the tuber with another layer of compost. By this time the container will be about half full. Place the container in a sheltered place outdoors, preferably under cover like this...


This is one of the two new "Seedling Greenhouses" that I recently bought. They each accommodate at least 8 containers - 10 at a pinch. They will allow the potatoes to get maximum light whilst protecting them from the weather. Emerging potato shoots are particularly vulnerable to frost damage, which is exactly why I have acquired these greenhouses.

You will have noticed that I am using old chicken manure containers for these potatoes, not the new big black containers I bought the other day, which I am reserving for my Second Early / Maincrop potatoes which need more space.


The new greenhouses have a slightly different configuration to the one I had before, having a zip-up opening which is smaller than the top surface. I wonder if it will be any better at coping with rainfall? It will certainly be less convenient when the plants get too tall for the cover to remain closed.


Did you notice that I have weighted-down the greenhouse with a brick at each corner? This is very necessary because it is very light and could easily be blown away by a strong wind.

8 comments:

  1. I think the taste of a potato varies greatly by how and where it's been grown. Take Jersey Royals, I love them, yet when I grew International Kidney, which is the same potato, I didn't rate them at all. I can see what you mean about your new greenhouse, the containers round the edge will have to be moved out once they grow too tall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally. The growing medium has a big influence on flavour, which is most obviously seen with tomatoes. Ones grown hydroponically are often very watery and tasteless.

      Delete
  2. With the winds we get here, those bricks would do nothing. I had a ton of bricks/pavers etc on a small tarp I was holding down and the wind still whipped it open. I figured when I moved here the winds would be less (my old house was at the top of a hill), but I was wrong. Good luck with your potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering why you weren't using those new pots of yours! Can't wait to get going on my potatoes - I'm expecting the seed potatoes to be delivered around mid-April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got Winston potatoes this year because they are supposed to be extra early, so it'll be interesting to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you are going with tradition and planting on St Patricks day. It;s always tricky to recommend a potato variety as they perform considerably differently and the flavour varies when grown in different soil and locations. The weather from one year to another can also affect the outcome. We once grew International Kidney (aka Jersey Royals) and were really disappointed in them - they obviously didn't suit our clay soil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just grow sweet potatoes. They probably wouldn't do very well in your climate. I have to wait until it's really warm to plant out the slips. I've never grown regular potatoes but do love the idea of digging through the soil to find them. It's like a treasure hunt. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.