Wednesday 30 March 2016

Transplanting Basil seedlings

Since I have never had much success with outdoor-grown Basil (lack of warm sunshine is to blame), I have taken to growing some in pots indoors on a windowsill, where it does quite well - especially since the windowsill has a central heating radiator right below it.




My plants normally last about a year before they lose their vigour and need replacing. Last month (Feb 13th) I sowed some Basil seeds ready for this years plants. I put about 20 seeds in a 6-inch pot, and when they germinated I thinned them out a bit, to give them enough room to develop properly.


Today I judged them ready for transplanting. Each seedling had at least one pair of proper leaves (i.e. discounting the cotyledons); some had a second pair just forming.




About an hour before transplanting I gave the seedlings a good drink. This makes it easier to move them with a fair bit of compost adhering to their roots, thus minimising transplant shock. Then (since I had 9 seedlings) I filled four 6-inch pots with fresh compost and moved the seedlings into them, two per pot:



Guess which one didn't make the grade? Yep the little "runt" seen at the left in the photo below...







These pots have now taken their place on the Dining-Room windowsill.




Meanwhile, this was the fate of the plants from last year - frozen cubes of pesto!





2 comments:

  1. Good idea to make the leftovers into pesto - although that would quickly get eaten in my kitchen! I've not had much luck with basil but will try a couple of pots on the balcony this year where it will hopefully be a steadier warmth for them. An Italian friends here in London always grows basil successfully on her balcony but maybe she has a magic touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basil is such a fragrant reminder of summer. It won't be long until it's time to sow some but mine are destined for the tomato beds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.